A Business Owner’s Soul – with a Legal Perspective!
Chad J. Cochran has always been fascinated by the ongoing struggle in business to maximize efficiencies, manage personalities, build profit and evaluate risk. His father rose through the ranks of corporate America while he was a kid, molding him into a passionate advocate for businesses in construction law and beyond. His interest in the operation of businesses leads him to assist companies in all phases, from formation to any type of related litigation.
Chad strives to provide personal, yet professional, representation to all his clients, and finds that as he connects with them over time, the closer relationships add both personal and professional value to everyone involved.
A Broad Focus
As a construction/business lawyer in Raleigh NC who represents a wide array of companies and individuals, Chad provides professional and personal service to business and construction clients throughout North Carolina. These include:
- construction and technology companies during complex superior court litigation;
- small business owners during shareholder disputes and derivative actions;
- business entities during multimillion-dollar mergers and acquisitions;
- nonprofits during dealings with the IRS;
- employers during administrative hearings involving improper hiring practices; and
- material suppliers during adversary proceedings in bankruptcy court.
Before forming Hannah Sheridan & Cochran, LLP (HSC), with his partners in 2013, Chad worked for six years in a Raleigh, NC, law firm where he helped clients with a variety of civil disputes and business law transactions. Prior to private practice, Chad worked in Washington, DC, as part of a tax law fellowship with the Internal Revenue Service.
A Point of Pride
One achievement Chad particularly enjoys reflecting on is the memory of how the team prevailed against one of the largest law firms in town. This followed an intense trial involving business records, electronic metadata and competing accounting summaries totaling over a million dollars. As a business lawyer in Raleigh NC, it gives Chad pride to know he was instrumental in obtaining a substantial award on behalf of the client.
Holding Roots in Tennessee
Chad holds roots in Knoxville, TN, earning two degrees from the University of Tennessee. While obtaining his law degree, he received numerous academic recognitions and earned a Best Oralist Award at the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition. He clerked for several civil law firms during law school and participated in environmental litigation one summer in Juneau, AK. Chad also holds a bachelor’s degree in computer science.
Taking Time to Volunteer
Chad is active in the community, volunteering on numerous boards and committees. He serves as a deacon at his church, participates in voter protection efforts with his state political party and volunteers each year with the International Bluegrass Music Association.
Chad previously served as the board president of International Focus, Inc., the nonprofit organization that hosts the annual International Festival of Raleigh.
A Family Man
During his married life with Raleigh native Lauren Marchman Cochran, Chad has visited several continents and embarked on many adventures, including thru-hikes of the entire Appalachian Trail (Georgia to Maine) and Pacific Crest Trail (Mexico to Canada).
Chad and Lauren are the proud parents of a beautiful daughter, Annabel Scout. In his free time, Chad enjoys reading, bluegrass guitar and Tennessee football.
- University of Tennessee College of Law, Juris Doctor – 2006, Concentration in Business Transactions
- University of Tennessee, Bachelor of Science – 2002, Computer Science
- North Carolina State Bar
- United States District Court, Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of North Carolina
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of North Carolina
- Business Law
- Construction Law
- Civil Litigation
- Commercial Collections
- Creditors’ Rights in Bankruptcy
- Employment Law
- Technology Law
Professional / Community Involvement
- Former President and Board of Directors, International Focus, Inc. / International Festival of Raleigh
- Community Gardening Task Force, City of Raleigh
- YMCA of the Triangle, Youth & Government
- Technology Committee and Continuing Legal Education Committee, North Carolina Bar Association
- Member of the Construction Law Section (former Annual Meeting and CLE Chair), Business Law Section, and North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Democratic Party, Voter Protection Committee
- West Raleigh Presbyterian Church, Member and Deacon
- Wake County Bar Association, Member and Lunch with a Lawyer Program
Speaking Engagements / Publications
- Ethics, Professionalism and the Post-Judgment Litigation Process, CLE Presentation at the North Carolina Bar Association
- National Association of Credit Managers, Fraudulent Transfers and Promissory Notes Presentations
Awards & Recognitions
- Emerging Legal Leader, North Carolina Lawyers Weekly
- Leadership Raleigh Graduate and Alumni Board, Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce
- Super Lawyers, Selections as a Rising Star
Need a business lawyer in Raleigh NC?